Self Care with a Bear Hug
From a standing position, keep your legs hip-width apart. Make sure your feet touch the ground with all toes, heels and balls of feet on the floor.
- Give yourself a hug by holding your shoulders with your hands.
- Keep the spine straight and the neck tilted down.
- Breathe through the nose down to your chest and hold for a couple of breaths or whatever is comfortable.
- Exhale slowly and release the arms.
- Swap the position of the arms and repeat.
If you do this pose on a chair, sit on a chair with a low back. Or with your back up against something firm and horizontal.
Place a small rolled-up towel between your spine and the hard surface, around the mid to lower shoulder blade range.
Gently cross your arms in front of your body, tilt your neck, and then follow steps 3 onwards.
If your knees are fine, this pose can also be done by kneeling on a mat and following steps 1-5. The standing and chair variations are better suited if you have knee issues.
This gentle pose is fantastic for stretching the arms, shoulder and chest and, just as importantly, giving yourself a moment and taking self-care.