Coconut Crab Curry Recipe
This is an easy-to-make Coconut Crab Curry Recipe! Loved by anyone who loves curries and crabs.
In the recipe, I use blue swimmer crabs as I find them easier to prepare. You can also use Mud crabs.
**I also use a spice blend – South Indian Seafood Masala, from Gewurzhaus. This contains salt, coriander, raw sugar, mustard seed, cumin, chilli, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg banda, clove, cardamom, ginger, fennel, pepper, and cassia. The spice is rich but not chilli hot. Hoyts Mild Curry Powder is a great mild alternative and is available in supermarkets.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 2 blue swimmer crabs
- 1 garlic clove (adjust based on your taste. I use a very small amount)
- 3 cm piece of fresh ginger (Adjust on what suits your taste)
- 2 small tomatoes (or 1/2 a can of tomatoes)
- 2 teaspoons of South Indian Seafood Masala or Hoyts Mild Curry Powder **
- Handful of spinach
- 1 TBS of coconut oil
- 165 ml coconut milk (small can)
- 1 cup of water
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Ensure the crabs have been washed and chopped. If you buy them from a seafood shop, you can ask for the crabs to be cleaned and chopped. If you buy them whole, remove the shell by pulling from the back of the crab first. Remove the gills (generally grey in colour) and scoop out the guts (orangey in colour). Leave anything that is white. You can cut what is left in quarters or pull the claws/legs apart. Wash under cold water in a colander. Crabs must be completely thawed if you are using frozen ones.
- Use a mortar and pestle to crush the ginger and garlic.
- Add the coconut oil to a wok or deep pan and heat for a few seconds on low to medium heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger and spices, saute for about 15 seconds to release the flavours.
- Add the crabs and mix everything together.
- Add 1/2 a cup of water and tomatoes, mix and simmer on low to medium heat with a lid on for 5 mins.
- Stir the crabs and tomatoes in the pan. Cook the crab thoroughly.
- Add the coconut milk and spinach and mix.
- Simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes till the crab looks cooked. (The blue colour of the crab will turn orange as it cooks.) Add the remainder of the water if you’d like more sauce.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy with rice or on its own!
Explore More Flavours from The Coconut Store:
Our Coconut, Vege, and Salmon Salad is a delightful combination of fresh vegetables, succulent salmon, and the richness of coconut, creating a harmonious blend of textures and flavours.
Add a touch of indulgence to your meal with Coconut Prawns on the Side. The crispy perfection of prawns coated in coconut contrasts with Crab Curry’s savoury flavour.
Coconut Satay Sauce is a light and flavourful creation perfect as a dipping sauce or curry base in stir-fries. Elevate your dishes with the coconut-infused twist and let your taste buds dance with delight.
Read more recipes and tips in our blog!