Choc Chip Cookies Recipe
Baking is a favourite pastime in my house and is a great time to switch out typical ingredients with something coconutty. I used coconut sugar instead of brown sugar in this choc chip cookie recipe and greased the tray with coconut oil. The coconut sugar adds richness to the taste of the choc chip cookies, and the coconut oil on the tray lends a slight coconut taste.
- 125g melted butter
- 1/2 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup of caster sugar
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 tsp of vanilla essence
- 1.5 cups of self-raising flour
- 3/4 cup of choc chips or smashed block of chocolate
- A bit of coconut oil to grease the tray
- Preheat the oven to 160 °C
- Line the pan with baking paper and lightly grease it with coconut oil. 2 trays may be required, depending on the size.
- Cream the butter and coconut sugar 🥥
- Add the 🥚and vanilla essence and whisk
- Sift in the flour and add chocolate chips.
- Fold till mixed together.
- Scoop 1 teaspoon size balls and place them on the tray. Allow for some space in between each ball as it spreads.
- Bake for 12 mins at 160 °C
- Cool on a rack
Enjoy your choc chip cookies! 🍪
Coconut sugar, a healthier alternative to traditional brown sugar, brings several benefits to your chocolate chip cookies:
- Lower Glycemic Index (GI): Coconut sugar has a lower glycemic index compared to brown sugar. This means it has a gentler impact on blood sugar levels, making it a suitable choice for those mindful of their sugar intake.
- Potential Health Benefits: Rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, coconut sugar offers potential health benefits. It contains small amounts of nutrients like iron, zinc, and calcium, contributing to the overall nutritional profile of your cookies.
- Richness in Flavour: The unique caramel-like flavour of coconut sugar adds depth and richness to your choc chip cookies. It imparts a subtle sweetness that complements the chocolate and enhances the overall taste experience.
For health-conscious bakers, consider these alternatives to tailor the choc chip cookie recipe to your dietary preferences:
- Whole Wheat Flour: Substitute part or all of the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour for added fibre and a nuttier flavour.
- Nutty Additions: Incorporate chopped nuts such as almonds, walnuts, or pecans for extra texture, protein, and healthy fats.
- Coconut Flour Considerations: Coconut flour is highly absorbent, so a little goes a long way. Start by substituting a small portion (about 15-20%) of the total flour content with coconut flour. Given its absorbency, you might need to increase the wet ingredients in the recipe. Be prepared to add extra liquid, such as eggs or milk, to achieve the right cookie dough consistency.
-Balancing Flavours and Textures: While coconut flour adds a subtle coconut flavour, it’s essential to balance it with other ingredients. Consider adjusting the quantity of sugar or adding complementary flavours like vanilla or cinnamon.
-Texture Considerations: Coconut flour tends to produce a softer, cake-like texture. If you prefer a chewier result, combining coconut flour with almond flour or other alternative flours can help achieve the desired texture.
*Adjustments might be needed to achieve the perfect balance of flavour and texture in your chocolate chip cookies.
- Spice it Up: Add a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg for a warm and comforting flavour profile.
- Sea Salt Sprinkle: Elevate your cookies by finishing them with a sprinkle of sea salt, enhancing both the sweet and savoury notes.
- Organic Coconut Confetti: Take it a step further by topping your cookies with Organic Coconut Confetti with superfoods from The Coconut Store. This not only adds visual appeal but also introduces exotic flavours and nutritional benefits.
The combination of choc chip cookies with a classic glass of milk is unbeatable. The creamy texture of the milk complements the sweetness of the cookies.
Pair your Choc Chip Cookies with a cup of freshly brewed coffee. The robust and slightly bitter notes of coffee balance the sweetness of the cookies, creating a perfect contrast that coffee enthusiasts will appreciate.
Opt for a warm cup of tea to accompany your Choc Chip Cookies. Choose a black tea for a classic pairing, or experiment with herbal teas like chai or mint to add diverse flavour dimensions. You can also try a matcha latte from our collection!
Elevate the experience with a mug of rich and creamy hot chocolate. The velvety cocoa goodness complements the chocolate chips in the cookies, creating a heavenly chocolate lover’s duo.
During warmer days, consider serving iced beverages alongside your cookies. Iced coffee or iced tea can provide a refreshing contrast to the warmth of the freshly baked Choc Chip Cookies.
Experiment and find the beverage that suits your taste preferences and the occasion. Enjoy exploring new flavour combinations!
Maximise the benefits of coconut oil in your cookies:
- Substitute for Butter: Use melted coconut oil as a substitute for butter. It adds a subtle coconut flavour to the cookies while contributing to a moist and tender texture.
- Temperature Control: Ensure the coconut oil is at room temperature when combining it with other ingredients. This helps achieve a smooth and consistent cookie dough.
- Sustainable Sourcing: Coconut products often come from renewable sources, making them a more environmentally friendly choice.
Your questions and comments are not just welcomed; they’re encouraged. We want to hear from you whether you’re seeking clarification on the Choc Chip Cookies recipe or have creative twists to share. Connect with us on Facebook and Instagram to join our vibrant baking enthusiast community.
And for an extra dose of coconut-inspired goodness, don’t forget to subscribe to our exclusive newsletter, “The Coconut Hut.” By joining The Coconut Hut, you’ll receive more delectable recipes and useful tips and be the first to know about our latest product releases. Subscribe here.
Check out all products here.